Workplace representation

Workplace advice

All working people above 16-year-old in the electronics and electrical sector are eligible for union membership. UWEEI works on measures to preserve, protect and enhance the interests of workers in a harmonious industrial relationship. UWEEI provides employment-related assistance in the following ways:

  • Union Representation for Ordinary Members (employees of unionised companies)

Besides engaging in collective bargaining for wage negotiations and collective agreements, the Union also handles grievances for Ordinary Branch members in cases of termination, dismissal , and retrenchments etc. With more graduates entering the workforce as or promoted to the ranks of Professionals , Executives and Managers (PMEs), UWEEI provides limited representation under the Industrial Relations Act to protect the rights and interests of these employees in competitive business.

For Ordinary Members, you can refer to your branch officials in the Company or the assigned Industrial Relations Officer serving your company.

  • Employment Advice for General Branch Members (employees of non-unionised companies)

Members from non-unionised companies in the electronics and electrical sector can seek employment advice on workplace issues ranging from workplace grievances to employment-related queries from a dedicated team of experienced Industrial Relations Officers.

For General Branch members, you can email us or call us at 6440 2338. Our officers will get back to you soonest.


Useful resources

MOM Website on Employment Practices

SG MOM logo.svg



Singapore Tripartism Forum


The Singapore Tripartism Forum (STF) was jointly set up by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) and the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF). It is a forum is designed to broaden, deepen and strengthen the spirit of tripartism through a more structured framework. The forum provides a platform for the tripartite partners - the Government, unions and employers - to table concerns and work together more effectively to overcome the complex economic challenges faced by Singapore today.

Official website:


Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices


The Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices (TAFEP) promotes employment practices that are fair and equitable to all workers. It provides a range of services, tools and resources, including training workshops, advisory services, and educational materials, to help organisations implement fair employment practices and to comply with employment legislation.

TAFEP also receives feedback from the public on their discrimination experiences and provides advice and assistance to those who have experienced discrimination at the workplace.

Official Website:


Re-Employment of Older Workers Portal

This web portal is a joint effort by the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF), the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). It serves as a one-stop resource centre to prepare both employers and employees for the introduction of re-employment legislation. In this portal, you can find information on seminars and events, funding schemes, and other assistance programmes, as well as case studies on employers who have implemented age-friendly employment practices, statistics and other useful materials relating to the re-employment of older employees.

Official Website:

Employment Act FAQs

Managers and executives are employees with executive or supervisory functions, including the authority to influence or make decision on issues such as recruitment, discipline, termination of employment, assessment of performance and reward, involvement in the formulation of strategies and policies of the enterprise or involvement in the management and running of the business.

In deciding whether an employee is in a managerial, executive or confidential position, the law will look at the job duties and not the job title.

Junior managers and executives earning $4,500 basic monthly salary and below are only covered partially on the basic payment of salary. All other provisions in the Employment Act do not apply to them.

An executive employee working in a unionised company may join the rank and file union in his/her company for limited representation rights under the Industrial Relations Act for retrenchment, dismissal, breach of contract and victimization.

For more information on the rights of a PME (Professional, Manager and Executive), visit UWEEI’s Engineering Professional Community to find out more.

An employee is entitled to Annual Leave if they meet the following conditions:

•  He/she is covered under Part IV of the Employment Act

•  He/she has worked for at least three months

An employee's annual leave entitlement under Part IV of the Employment Act is as follows:

Year of service

Days of leave















8th and thereafter


If an employee has a contract which provides for more days of annual leave entitlement than above, the contract will supersede the Employment Act. Where an employee's year of service begins from the day he/she started work with the employer.

The employer may grant the employee unpaid leave, if the employee is not eligible for annual leave or has used up his annual leave.

The employee’s annual leave entitlement should be in proportion to the number of completed months of service in that year (If the employee has been in service for at least three months).

The annual leave should be pro-rated using the following formula:

(No of months in service/12) x 7 days

Periods of no pay leave should not be included when computing annual leave entitlement.

An employee's annual leave entitlement can be forfeited if he/she:

  1. Absents him/herself from work without permission or reasonable excuse for more than 20% of the working days in a month or year, as the case may be
  2. Fails to take his/her leave within 12 months after the end of 12 months of continuous service
  3. Is dismissed on the grounds of misconduct

Instead of forfeiting leave, the employer may at his/her discretion, encash the leave at the gross rate of pay based on the employee's last drawn salary.

If the termination of an employee's service is not on account of misconduct, the employer must pay him/her for every day of leave not taken, at the gross rate of pay based on the employee's last drawn.

You are entitled to paid sick leave, including medical leave issued by a dentist if you:

  1. Served the employer for at least three months;
  2. Informed or attempted to inform the employer of his/her absence within 48 hours.
  3. The sick leave is certified by the company's doctor, or by a government doctor if a company doctor is not readily available, or during emergency situations.

The amount of paid outpatient and hospitalisation sick leave that an employee can take is capped at

  • 14 days of outpatient sick leave
  • Max of 60 days for those who completed at least 6 months of service)

The number of days of paid sick leave a new employee is entitled to depends on his service period:

No of months of service completed of a new employee

Paid Outpatient non-hospitalisation Leave (days)

Paid hospitalisation Leave (days)*

3 months



4 months

5 + 3 = 8

15 + 15 = 30

5 months

8 + 3 = 11

30 + 15 = 45

6 months

11 + 3 = 14

45 + 15 = 60




* An employee is deemed to be hospitalised if he/she is certified by a doctor to be in need of hospitalization. He does not necessarily have to be warded in a hospital.

If an employee has worked for at least three months, his employer is legally obliged to bear the medical consultation fee.

For other medical costs, such as medication, treatment or ward charges, the employer is obliged to bear such costs depending on the medical benefits provided for in the employee's employment contract or the collective agreement signed between the company with the Union.

No, he is not entitled to even if a medical leave is given by the doctor. However, he is entitled to claim for the medical examination fee.

If an employee is sick but have used up his/her sick leave entitlement, the employer can:

  1. Allow the employee to go on extended no-pay leave for an agreed period;
  2. Make other working arrangements that are acceptable to both parties
  3. Obtain a medical assessment of the employee's suitability for continued employment.

If the employee is certified unfit for continued employment, the employer can terminate his/her services. In such a situation, the contract is deemed to be frustrated. The employer can compensate the employee:

  1. Based on what is provided for in the employment contract or Collective Agreement; or
  2. By making an ex-gratia payment to him/her on goodwill basis.

Eligibility under the Children Development Co-Savings Act

The Children Development Co-Savings Act covers parents of Singapore Citizen children, including managerial, executive and confidential staff.

You are entitled to 16 weeks of maternity leave under the Children Development Co-Savings Act if

  • Your child is a Singapore Citizen;
  • You are lawfully married; and
  • You have served her employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth.

If you are not covered by the Children Development Co-Savings Act but is covered under the Employment Act, you will still be entitled to maternity leave.

Eligibility under the Employment Act

An employee who is covered under the Employment Act, but not under the Children Development Co-Savings Act, will be entitled to 12 weeks of maternity leave if she has served her employer for at least 9- days before the birth of the child, regardless of her nationality.

She will be paid by her employer for the first 8 weeks of maternity leave if she has fewer than 2 living children (excluding the newborn). The last four weeks of maternity leave can be taken flexibly over a 12-month period from the child’s birth.

An employee on fixed term contract, temporary or part-time employment is entitled to 16 weeks of maternity leave if she meets the eligibility conditions under the Children Development Co-Savings Act, or 12 weeks of maternity leave if she satisfies the eligibility conditions under the Employment Act. If she is eligible for paid maternity leave, she will be paid at the gross rate for each day that she would normally have been required to work under her contract of service.

The first 4 weeks of maternity leave immediately after delivery of child is compulsory.

Ways that maternity leave can be taken

  • Take the 16 weeks of maternity leave continuously
  • Take the last 8 weeks flexibly within 12 months from the birth of the child upon mutual agreements between the employee and the employer.

Unused maternity leave will not be able to carry over to new company.

No, a female employee may not be served a notice of dismissal while she is on maternity leave. The employer will be liable to a fine and/or imprisonment

However, this does not apply if the employee is taking an extended 4-week maternity leave stretching over a period of time.


However, if the notice of dismissal is given without sufficient cause within 3 months of her "confinement", her employer must compensate her for the maternity benefits that she would otherwise have been eligible for.

The above only applies to employees protected under the Employment Act. If the employee falls outside the Employment Act, then you should refer to the terms of the employment contract. You can also contact the Union at 6440 2338 or email us.

Section 18A of the Employment Act deals with transfer of employment where an undertaking or part of an undertaking is transferred from one person to another. These rules apply only to employees who fall within the definition of "employee" in the Employment Act.

Yes. Under the Employment Act, the employer may do so if there is a restructuring of the organisation.

Restructuring includes: 

  • merger
  • take-over
  • sale of parts of the employer's operation
  • setting up a subsidiary company

The above only applies to employees protected under the Employment Act, If the employee falls outside the Employment Act, then you should refer to the terms of the employment contract. 

Employers cannot change the terms and conditions of employment, unless his employee agrees to it.

If the employee does not agree to the changes, he should bring up the matter to his employer and try to negotiate for an acceptable agreement to both parties.

If there is no agreement to the dispute, either party may choose to end the employment relationship by serving the appropriate notice to the other party.

Industrial Relations FAQs

An “executive employee” is defined as someone who is employed in a managerial or an executive position. Only an executive employee working in a unionised company may join the rank and file union in that company for limited representation rights.

However, the following categories of executives are excluded and cannot be represented by a rank and file union if they:-

a) are employed in a senior management position or performs or exercises any function, duty or power of a person employed in a senior management position, including the control and supervision of major business operations, accountability for operational performance, formulation of business policies, plans and strategies and provision of leadership to other employees;

b) perform or exercise any function, duty or power which includes decision making, or the power to substantially influence decision making, on any industrial matters including the employment, termination of employment, promotion, transfer, reward or discipline of other employees;

c) perform any function or duty which includes representing the employer in any negotiation relating to any industrial matters;

d) have access to confidential information relating to the budget and finances of the employer, any industrial relations matter or the salaries and personal records of other employees; or

e) perform or exercise any other function, duty or power which may give rise to a real or potential conflict of interest if he is represented by the trade union.

Rank and file unions can represent executives on an individual basis for the following purposes only:
a) in appeals against wrongful dismissals under S.35(2) of the Industrial Relations Act;
b) negotiations for retrenchment benefits;
c) breach of employment contracts; and
d) victimisation arising out of a contravention of S.82 of the Industrial Relations Act.

Yes. Executives working in the same company as the rank and file employees can join the union as Ordinary Member and can therefore hold office in the Union. They are distinct from General Branch members who under the unions’ constitutions cannot hold office.

Yes. A union leader who is an executive employee can enter into collective bargaining for the rank and file members. However, the said union leader can only represent executives in their individual capacities and in respect of dismissals, retrenchments, breach of employment contract or victimisation.

From February 2011, a new employment dispute resolution mechanism will be in place to help professionals, managers and executives (PMEs) and their employers to resolve disputes through mediation in the following areas:

i. Salary claims

ii. Issues arising from individual employment contract

iii. Retrenchment benefits

Under this mechanism, it is compulsory for the employer involved to attend the mediation session at the Ministry of Manpower. An employer shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 if it fails to attend the session without a reasonable excuse. If the employee fails to attend the mediation session without reasonable excuse, his/her claim will be struck off.

PMEs need to satisfy all the following criteria to be eligible for this process:

UWEEI_industrial act faq.jpg


(i) Earning not more than $4,500 per month

(ii) Is a member of a registered employee trade union for at least 6 months and

(iii) Is not eligible for full/limited union representation

NTUC Card WO Photo 1.png

Join us as a UWEEI Member today

Gain access to exclusive deals, events, and privileges when you become a member today!
Be a member